Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving break

We had a great Thanksgiving break. Perhaps a little untraditional, but great. Tyler was home for almost a whole week and enjoyed playing with Ashtyn and seeing what she's like on a day-to-day basis rather than just wrestle mania when he gets home from school.

We decided to do Thanksgiving dinner at the Ty's school--they provide a dinner for the students' families so we went. It was surprisingly good for prepared food, but without all the cooking, the day felt a little empty. So, we decided to decorate for Christmas. It was a fun way to spend the day. I've said it before, but holidays are just so fun with Ashtyn around! Everything is just so exciting and wonderful to her. One of her favorite items were the dutch wooden shoes Ty brought home from his mission. They fit her feet pretty well and she wears them around pretty regularly now.

We decided to also start potty training Ashtyn. She's been using the toilet for months now and frankly I was just trying to postpone until after all the travel at Christmas time, after I finished working and could be here for all of it, and after she made the move into the "big girl room" so there wasn't too much change going on at once. But, it was just time. She was ready and one day just said, "I want to wear big girl underwear!" Soooo Ty and I just looked at each other and said, "OK, when you wake up from your nap we'll go to town and you can pick out some big girl underwear." And that was that. She's done super well. Of course, the typical accidents the first day (we just had her sit on a blanket that was over a plastic garbage bag or play in the kitchen on the linoleum) but she's just gotten better and better everyday. So far today she's stayed 100% dry. Good job Ashtyn!

We decided that the school Thanksgiving was good, but not SUPER and we'd just have to have our own. Sooo Friday we had pie night, which was wonderful:



And then Sunday we had our own Thanksgiving dinner. It was really nice to break up all the cooking like that. I'm tempted to separate pie and dinner in the future too!


3 comments:

Christia said...

Yay Ashtyn!!! :) That's so exciting Jamie!

Tyler said you were looking at cloth for baby #2? Let me know if you have any questions!

Megan Conrad said...

O my gosh ashtyn looks super cute in her big her underwear!!!!! And those pies looks wonderful! I want some yummy!

Jace and Tami said...

Those pies look super delicious. Are you going home for Christmas? We are going to be in Idaho the 21st to the 31st, if you are we should try to get together maybe. I know it gets super busy when trying to cram all the family in. Hope everything is going well and congrats on Ashtyn potty training!