Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A psycho-analyst might say...

...that I miss experimenting in the lab. This year Ashtyn and I made some yummy Linzer cookies for Valentines Day (also known as Jam Cutouts). At first I swore I would never make them again--they were a little too involved for an 18 month old and are crunchy (who wants crunchy cookies anyway?), but after tasting them, they really were good and I put them in the keeper binder!

So where does the psycho-analyst come in--the one that says I either miss being in the lab or am just plain psycho? Well, for those of you who don't yet realize just how deep my scientist-experimenter streak goes, I actually tried two different recipes (hmmm, maybe that's why it was a little overwhelming?). I often do this. How else are you supposed to know which recipe is best? (This is where the psycho-analyst says I'm an over-achiever, except when it comes to spelling; I have no idea how to spell that and I don't care.) How else are you supposed to objectively evaluate the tastes if you can't do it side by side? Well, yes, this is why I have been known to make massive quantities of cookies (or zucchini breads or pumpkin pies on Thanksgiving day or...). Unfortunately, life isn't black and white and often after going through the trouble of making two (or three) different recipes for the same thing at the same time (maybe this is why I like bowls so much?), sometimes we can't decide which recipe is best. Such is the case with the Linzer cookies.

The recipe from Diana's Desserts had a nicely complex flavor with vanilla and almond extract plus a little cinnamon and lemon zest, and we think it had a slightly better texture. The other recipe I tried had only lemon zest plus some lemon juice, and since Ty and I both love lemon, we somewhat prefered the simplicity of the lemon flavor, BUT the texture wasn't as good, and I think the lemon juice is what made the texture not as desirable. Bah! Too bad all the troubles in life weren't so trival as what cookie recipe to keep in the box, huh?


Anyway, both cookies really were delicious, and I think they look yummy too. Plus even though I was teetering on the edge of getting stessed out, Ashtyn had a ball, and I think it is fun to cook with her. This ended up being a much longer post than expected, so now I have to get back to work (test to finish writing...).

If I don't write again soon--Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

You crack me up. I love trying new recipes, but I'm not patient enough to make double for comparison, though I agree that's really the best way to compare them.

carol said...

The cookies look so good. It is always good to push life into a full blown day of nuttiness your psycho-analyst would say, makes life sweet! And what fun memories for sweet-pea.

Sarah said...

They look so yummy! Maybe I will attempt making cookies this week.

The Jones Family said...

I was hoping for a mouth watering picture! They do look adorable and scrumptoniuos!Ains