Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First Day of School and other going ons

And the school-phase of life has begun!
I can't believe Ashtyn is 5 and off to school. Sometimes I think it is all well and good, that she is ready and it is right. And the other times I just feel sad I can't be with her all day, that I can't be the one to teach her everything and protect her and comfort her. Isn't she just so cute? How could you NOT want to be with her all the time and protect her from any harm?
 
 
Yes, I got quite teary eyed (OK, they spilled right down my cheeks) when I saw her walk into school. Thankfully she didn't see! And Corinne and I have been having quite a nice time--we go for a little walk/run, have a little school for her (which she loves), and just talk and talk and talk. She seems to really like being able to talk so much without competing. She does often ask, "is Ashtyn home?" or "Ashtyn still at school?" but really, it has been good for her to get some Mommy time. :)
 
And Ashtyn seems to be doing well at school. Not surprisingly, she is quite mystified by some of the students' naughty behavior and is a bit overwhelmed by the size and noise of it all (lunch time seems to stress her sometimes because it is so noisy and she prefers to sit and watch during recess). She likes all the activities though, loves her teacher, and even seems to have found a friend. She tells me they like to sit and talk. :)
 
Here are some pictures of Kindergarten orientation day:



 
 
We also took a trip down to Brigham City to visit my good friend who was visiting from Texas. Our older girls had quite a fun time together. I know at least Ashtyn thinks they are good friends, even if they don't see each other more than once or twice a year. :)

 
 
Our chicks are growing up!!! I can't believe how big they are. They look like little hens now--and act like it too. :) They still make little chick "cheeps" though, which is pretty cute. This one here is "Amy" who I'm a little worried my actually be an "Alexander." Only time will tell, but she seems to be more rooster-ish than the others: bigger tail feathers, more aggresive, etc.

 
 
The girls love to sit and feed the chicks dandelion greens, and the chicks LOVE to eat them. They go crazy for them!

 
 
And one last set of pictures. The girls wanted to paint the other day, so we whipped out their easel, set it up outside and we water colored. Quite fun. Corinne even let me paint with her, while Ashtyn painted many pictures of us out in the sunshine with flowers.




 
I hope they want to do it again tomorrow.... :)

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I love your photos- they are so professional looking. I love the shots of your girls painting. I can't believe how big they are getting! They are beautiful. Good luck with your chickens!