Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Weddings, birthdays, and huckleberries

How lucky we are to have two cute girls who love each other? :) This has been the good-night hug routine around our house lately:



We built a stellar sheet fort one day over at my mom's. Too bad Corinne puked in it about 5 minutes after it was built....


Everyone in our house got rather sick at the end of July. The girls got it worst--a good full week of puking for both of them, but at least an additional week of sore throats/headaches/tiredness/etc. Poor Ty got it on THE DAY he took his board exams. We're still waiting to find out how the scores went. We think that something is trying to get in his way of his excelling--it's not the first major test that he's been majorly sick for. Oh well I guess. I was lucking and didn't really get sick--just got real tired and kind of lousy feeling, but nothing too bad.

Which is good, because right about then we had a killer weekend--My close counsin's wedding and Ashtyn's birthday.

My cousin's wedding was in Park City, and it was beautiful. She was married on the mountain there, so we got to ride the gondola up the mountain and watch her be married on a bridge over a beautiful mountain stream. Talk about romantic. :) Here's a picture with a lot of the girls from my family.



We came home from the wedding and got ready for Ashtyn's first-ever friend birthday party. I think it went well--it was our first time, so we had some hicups along the way and we learned some things, but I think all the kids had fun and she felt "like a big 4-year-old" that she got to have a friend birthday party. She's been feeling pretty proud that she has so many friends. I was just releaved that we had kids come--we haven't been here terribly long and so several of the kids that we invited we weren't exactly "friends" with, but I think we will be because they live in the neighborhood.

We had a Honey-Bee Birthday theme (because it was yellow, and if you know Ashtyn, you know she likes yellow). Here she is posing "one more time" for her mother. Patient little girl... ;) (details of that coming up on the EA blog soon...)


At the party all the little kids decorated masks. Here they are posing with their masks.



Then the next day, her real birthday, we had some family over for cake and ice cream. She got some really fun presents for her birthday. Well over a week later she's still pretty jazzed about them all.



Tyler and I got her an easel, which I think Corinne likes more than Ashtyn does, but they both really enjoy it. I think this is one of my most favorite pictures ever of them--too cute how they are just painting away.



I was bound and determined to go huckleberry picking this year, so earlier this week I packed the girls up and to the mountains we went! I haven't been probably since high school, so it was fun for me to go and share it with the girls. We spent all afternoon eating picking huckleberries, exploring around in the hills and splashing in streams.


We didn't bring home much--Corinne wasn't the biggest help and Ashtyn ate more than what she picked, soooo.... :) But we did bring home enough for Ty and I to have some with ice cream, which was delicious.



Past that, we're all doing well. Very much glad to be over our sicknesses.
Tyler is finishing up a family practice rotation and enjoying it; he still feels like that's the life-plan for us. :)
I have a half marathon in two weeks that I think will go well, but I'm a little anxious about.
Ashtyn has preschool in 3 weeks, which I think will go well, but SHE is a little anxious about. (Thank goodness it's just across the street and she knows her teacher pretty well, otherwise this could be quite the trauma. It still might be.)
Corinne is officially a one-nap kid now, but I'm still working the kinks out with that. She wants to take it in the morning, I want her to take it in the afternoon. So far we have no idea when she will or won't nap (today I pushed her to stay up too late (noon) and then she was so over tired she didn't sleep at all! no nap all day, despite repeated attempts. fabulous day, let me tell ya). Anyway, I'm hoping to work out something that fits well with the family so I can know when to plan and schedule things. At the moment, I have no idea what time is good to do anything.... That being said, I really like having her down to just one nap. It frees up so much time in the day.

Anyway, best wishes!

1 comment:

carol said...

Happy 4th birthday Ashtyn! You are
as cute as ever!!!