Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ode to Iowa

Iowa, oh Iowa, you will remain forever in our hearts.
For this is where we watched our first born grow from chubby baby
to beautiful, fun-loving little girl.

This is where we had our second child, a bright-eyed bundle of joy.



I'll never forget that beautiful winter morning she was born.


This is where we got to go to the Pella Tulip Festival (Ty served his mission in the Netherlands, and this was as close to a trip back as he'll be getting for awhile).
Ashtyn will now forever associate parades with stroopwafles.

Iowa is where we celebrated our first Chirstmases with a child old enough to appreciate the magic.




And our first Halloweens when Ashtyn was old enough to dress-up.

Iowa is where we had best friends just a few doors down.



Where Emily and the other girls and Maple Grove taught me a thing or two about being crafty.

Where the ice storms in winter were intense.
And the farmer's markets in summer imense.
(compared to what we were used to)


Where we experienced the rolling farmland of the great Midwest



Where one of our favorite state parks is located: Ledges State Park. Although much smaller than anything out west, this area was truly beautiful.


Iowa is where we had frogs living all around our house. One year we even grew tadpoles in Ashtyn's swimming pool.

Where we visited Nauvoo--our first family "trip" (besides to see extended family).
And so much more--unfortunately most of my photos are backed up on CDs and external hard-drives now. And those are packed away neatly in some box that I probably won't unpack since we'll be moving again in a year. The truth is, Iowa really was a fun time of life for us. It had it's ups and downs for sure, but that is how all life is. I think we'll always remember the good times. I think I'll always think of it as the time when Ashtyn was small--she seems so much older now.
That's all for now. Once I unpack my camera, I'm sure I'll have a great time posting pictures of our new house and of Wyoming. So far I've had great fun comparing the beautiful and the the not-so-beautiful of Wyoming. Already we've found some great places--beautiful BIG forests, farmer's markets and parks--and some things that make me laugh--truly there are more 2nd hand stores in Casper than all of Des Moines combined. Anyway, until next time....

4 comments:

RAPN! said...

Glad you made it safe! I hope you make wonderful memories in Wyoming too!

Jennie said...

Wyoming huh? Your time in Iowa seemed to be so short! Good luck on the upcoming adventure.

Jamie said...

i loved your post. Iowa really is great. I love it too. I'm glad that I got to know you while you were here. Best of luck in Wyoming. I hope your getting settled in.

Anonymous said...

that was a great post... and i completely agree with most of your tidbits on iowa and i love remembering them... even the HORRID winters. I can't believe how much Ashtyn changed while you were in iowa... wow how time flies. I had a 3-month-old and when we left he was 4 and 3-months. CRAZY. That baby picture of Ashtyn looks like Corinne i think.