Thursday, May 15, 2008

Oh, What a Week!

This has been one of those crazy weeks where it feels like you are on "turbo" all week long. I end up going, going, going and then just crashing at the end of the day. It just seems like we had a bunch of outside stuff to deal with all week long--I think Tyler went into work late everyday due to traveling back from Idaho for the weekend, doctor's appointments, etc.

Some of our major things this week were 1) my job interview and 2) Ashtyn's iron definciency drama.

1) Not sure what to think about the job interview. It seemed to go really well, but I don't know if I'll end up accepting it even if it works out! It is for a faculty position at Mercy Health Science College in Des Moines. It seems like it'd be perfect for me--good atmosphere, fun classes to teach--but it's also full time, which I defiently don't want. The only reason I'm considering it is because the hours are "variable." Every semester I'd be teaching a different number of classes at different times (some at night when the baby girl is asleep anyway). Sooo I don't know what to think. There's still a few more hoops to jump through, but I'm hoping that I can convince them to just let me work part time and teach one class that meets three times a week or something. We'll see.

2) So, Ashtyn has iron deficiency anemia. It's kind of one of those things that just bugs me because I've always tried so hard to feed her exceptionally healthy (I mean, how many moms make their kids homemade baby food? I made her chicken soup from scratch today for crying out loud!!! (which she loved)), but for some reason, things still don't work out as you'd expect. Basically, she can't have any dairy or wheat (the doctor thinks she may be allergic), and I have to give her iron drops. I'm glad they caught it because from everything I've read, iron deficiency can lead to developmental problems, which defiently isn't the case now, but maybe later. Poor girl had to have her blood drawn twice in a week (three times if you count that fact that they had to stick her in both arms the first time). She has these big ol' bruises on her arms. Funny story though, after the second time she had her blood drawn, the nurse gave her a little rubber ducky to make her feel better, and our sassy little baby takes the duck and chucks it into the garbage can that was on the floor to the side of her. The nurse, feeling bad for her and thinking it was an accident, offers her another rubber ducky, which Ashtyn promptly chucks in the garbage can as well. So while she appears to be very forgiving of her mother, she isn't so forgiving of nasty phlebotomists who can't get the needle in correctly the first time. What sass for a 9 month old! Sure makes her parents laugh.

Between those events, and all of the random Relief Society meetings and visits and Tyler trying to get things squared away for going to medical school (testing his antibody titers, getting TB tests, filling out financial aid information, filling out housing applications...) it's just been a crazy week! I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday. Tyler and I have been doing really good to set aside Friday nights as our date night, and I must say I look forward to it all week. We don't do much--eat something extra fancy or fun, watch a movie or whatever, but it is nice. Also, tonight we had a friend watch Ashtyn while she slept and we went to the temple: instantly brought us some much-needed peace and edification.

2 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Poor baby girl. I love that she throws the ducky twice. What a pill. That makes life so fun. I can't believe you have job interviews! Way to go. Hopefully you can make it just perfect for you and your family, and if it's not this one, I'm sure you will find something better then. Good luck!

Kate said...

Sorry to hear that. James came back with a low iron count at his 9 month appointment. He had to take iron drops and recheck at his 12 month. The test came back okay. It sounds like this deficiency in Ashtyn doesn't have as simple a cure. Will this be a lifetime thing for her? So sorry to hear that.